Friday, March 30, 2012

The Illusion of Riches!

Proverbs 23:4-5: "Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.  Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone." 

I was at the Stallion Springs General Store yesterday and saw the Mega Millions Jackpot amount and was taken back a bit.  I had to take a second look to see if I read it right.  A half a billion dollars, that is 500 million for those that have a hard time with the billion word.  Now, that's a lot of money, I don't care who you are. 

Of course my mind began to swirl about all that I could do with that amount of money.  The conversation in my head turned into a full blown discussion with the church office staff.  We all begin to talk about all the people we would help, all the ministries we would support, how much we would give to the church, etc.  You know the drill, I am sure you have had similiar conversations about wealth. 

But then the conversation got a little quite when I asked what we were doing with our current amount of money we make.  Am I generous with what I have now? How many people have I helped with what I have? Do I pay tithes on my current dollar amount, etc?  The scripture makes it clear that if I am faithful with little, I will be given responsibility over much. 

No, I am not saying if I pay my tithes and help the poor I will win the Mega Jackpot.  I am saying that God calls me to be faithful with what I have not some illusionary amount.  It is interesting that in my devotions today I read this scripture I quoted at the beginning of this blog..."don't wear yourself out to get rich." 

And, just so you know, I did not buy a lotto ticket either...at least not yet.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Fear Crowds Your Mind

    There is a monster lurking in the dark recesses of your mind. He stays pretty quiet until you begin to venture into...