Friday, January 18, 2013

Build Bigger Nets

\
Genesis 48: 15Then he blessed Joseph and said,
“May the God before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac walked faithfully,
the God who has been my shepherd all my life to this day, 16 the Angel who has delivered me from all harm
—may he bless these boys.
May they be called by my name and the names of my fathers Abraham and Isaac,
and may they increase greatly on the earth.”

Consistently throughout the Old Testament you will see the leader of the household conveying a blessing on his sons. In the case of Israel, the blessing contained and promise of increase. Over and over you would hear the head of the household say "I am going multiply you as numerous as the stars in the heavens" or "as numerous as the sands of the sea." In this verse of scripture he says, "...and may they increase greatly on the earth.”
 





























I believe it is God's will to bless us. I think the promise of blessing is scattered throught the Old and New Testaments and I am convinced that we can claim these promises.

I recently shared with my leadership team the story of Jesus telling the disciples to throw their nets back into the water after they had fished all night and caught nothing. When they did, they caught so many fish that the nets could not hold them. In our own lives we see the same thing. At first it may seem like we are spinning our wheels and nothing positive seems to happen, but then Jesus says, "throw your net back in." From a human perspective it may not make any sense to do so, but as Peter said, "Nevetheless, at your word, we will thrown them back in."

Today you may be waiting on a promise of increase...maybe you desperately need it. Just keep throwing in your net. Just keep doing what you are doing and Jesus will come through for you and when he does it is usually when you least expect it.

I am so convinced that God is going to bless me that I am making plans today by building the biggest net I can to receive it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Fear Crowds Your Mind

    There is a monster lurking in the dark recesses of your mind. He stays pretty quiet until you begin to venture into...