Monday, December 17, 2012

Give Me Neither Wealth Nor Poverty

Proverbs 30:7 “Two things I ask of you, Lord;do not refuse me before I die:8Keep falsehood and lies far from me;give me neither poverty nor riches,but give me only my daily bread.9Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’Or I may become poor and steal,and so dishonor the name of my God.
This is an interesting verse of scripture, isn't it? Give me neither wealth nor poverty only my daily supply. This verse probably make us cringe a bit because, in America we are so bent of gaining wealth. We have weekly lotteries and thousands of people put their money down in hopes of walking away a millionaire. We have stocks and bonds and we are hopfuly that our broker picks the right one and we too gain even more wealth. We have multiple ways of increasing our income. 
 
Yet, rarely, if ever, do you hear someone say a prayer that says, God keep me content with my daily portion. We do not want a daily portion, we want to have this sense of security that our future is well cared for. We do not want to have trust in God, we want to have trust in our stock pile. Which brings another thought, isn't it interesting that on our money we have the slogan, "In God we trust."
The reason Solomon offers the prayer is so that our trust is in God and not our resources. He says that too much resource causes us to put our security in things. He actually says we can have so much that it causes us to disown God. Yet too little may cause us to setal and dishonor the name of God. The word he is giving us in contentment....contentment in what God is giving me today, knowing that he will, no matter what happens, take care of my tomorrows.

1 comment:

When Fear Crowds Your Mind

    There is a monster lurking in the dark recesses of your mind. He stays pretty quiet until you begin to venture into...